Last week we awoke to yet again the sound of the plow rumbling down the road. When we peaked out of the frosty windows of our old farmhouse we were delighted by the sight of eight fresh inches of snow. We had a storm the previous week dropping a foot, but we needed a fresh storm for this week's challenge. The Lord always provides!
They carefully placed it in a spot that would not be contaminated by the road or driveway. I then handed "T" a measuring cup to collect one cup of fresh snow for the melting experiment.
We discussed at length what happened and made connections to our melting snowmen that we made a month ago. A warm snap made them melt in a matter of days. This really helped with understanding the principle of what was happening here. Our packed one cup of snow melted into a quarter of a cup of water. How fun! On to the filtering...
I wrote in the information on the notebook page this week, as it was a bit above them. We are yet to complete the last experiment with colored paper. We are hoping to do that tomorrow. Overall the boys really liked setting up the collecting and completing the work. The melting made the greatest impression, so the colored paper may strike a cord as well.